Friday, September 24, 2010

My Favorite Disney Memory or Discovering The Magic!

For Fun Friday this week I thought I would share a favorite Disney memory of mine.  Disney's new campaign, Let the Memories Begin may have something to do with it!

I have been lucky enough to visit Walt Disney World many times.  I have lots of Disney memories.  Each visit brings new memories and reasons I love Walt Disney World.  I am a true believer in the magic of Disney.  It wasn't always that way though.

I had been to Walt Disney World a couple of times as a kid and thought it was fun.  Back then it was only the Magic Kingdom (yes I am that old!).  It wasn't until the first trip I took with my own little family that I discovered the magic.

In 1997 my husband and I decided to take our kids to Disney.  My son had just turned 9 and my daughter was 5.  We decided to combine a trip of visiting family in southwest Florida for Thanksgiving, with a few days in Walt Disney World.  I hadn't been to Walt Disney World since 1985.  Using the internet and every guide book being published at the time, I became slightly obsessed with planning the perfect trip.  Well maybe a little more than slightly, alright, alright, completely obsessed!

We decided to surprise our kids with the trip.  Santa sent a letter with an early Christmas present and the kids were thrilled.  Yay!  Disney World here we come!

We arrived at the Polynesian around noon time the Sunday after Thanksgiving for our three night, four day stay.  Yes, you read correctly, three nights and four days.  A little ambitious, but I had a plan.   Animal Kingdom was not open yet so there were three parks to visit.  We check in, go to our room for a little while, then head out to the Magic Kingdom.

Walking down Main Street for the first time with my family was great!  My daughter pointed at the castle and asked "Who's house is that?".  I told her "It's Cinderella's house.".  She looked at me with her mouth open in awe, "Can I meet Cinderella?"  This completely took me by surprise, she was a tomboy and liked playing with her brother's action figures and cars more than dolls and princess stuff.  I told her "Maybe", thinking that idea would pass.  We spent the rest of the day and evening in the Magic Kingdom and she didn't mention it again.

The next day, we went to another park,  I don't remember which one, but will never forget that the idea was still in my daughter's head about meeting Cinderella.  She asked when she could meet Cinderella for a second time.  This time my reply was "We'll see, she's pretty busy".  She seemed to buy it.

On the third day, It was starting to become evident she wasn't going to let the idea go, when she asked when she could meet Cinderella again!  She hadn't learned yet that "We'll see" meant "Probably not going to happen".

I knew a simple answer wasn't going to suffice this time.  It had to be a more elaborate explanation to avoid a melt down.  I frantically went through many reasons why I could tell her that Cinderella was busy.  "Cinderella has to clean the big castle.  I don't know if she will be able to come out anytime soon.".  I know, lame, but I was under pressure and I don't work well under pressure!  My five year old bought it though! 

You may be asking yourself, why didn't I find a character meet or go to a dinner with Cinderella?  I did plan the trip pretty thoroughly, but never imagined my daughter would want to meet Cinderella.  I really didn't think she was serious about meeting Cinderella until the third day. 

On our fourth day we went to Epcot for the afternoon.  I was hoping, no praying, my daughter had forgotten about meeting Cinderella.  No such luck.  As we walked into the World Showcase, she said "I hope I get to meet Cinderella today".  Great!  She was like a hound dog with a bone with this Cinderella thing, she wasn't letting it go at all!  I just smiled and said "Okay honey". 

We walked around the World Showcase exploring the different countries.  We reached the International Gateway and decided to walk around some of the Epcot resorts to check out Christmas decorations.  We were the only ones walking that way (that's how I remember it anyway!).  My daughter was skipping and twirling around, not paying attention to anything around her. 

I saw her first.  Coming out from behind the store was Cinderella!!  I couldn't believe it.

My daughter stopped dead in her tracks for a moment when she saw Cinderella.  She then ran over to Cinderella and gave her a big hug!  Cinderella stopped and talked with her for a few moments and we got a great picture.  Cinderella went on her way and we went on ours.  My daughter looked up at me with a huge grin on her face and said "I knew Cinderella would come meet me". 

That was the moment I discovered the magic of Disney.  Since then we have had many magical moments at Walt Disney World, but my little girl meeting Cinderella is by far my favorite!

2 comments: